The Good: Pavelec has a good size, which helps him to cover a good amount of the net. He possesses decent skating skills and adequate lateral movement. He plays a quality butterfly style, displays strong athleticism and flexibility. As for the mental side he is calm and also has solid focus and mental toughness. Pavelec shows above-average reading of plays and anticipation; he challenges the shooter well. He has solid reflexes and quickness and is tough to beat on initial shots. Pavelec orientates in traffic well, handles rebounds and plays the angles adequately well. He owns the capability of stealing games by himself and never quits on a play.
The Bad: On the downside, Pavelec needs to keep his conditioning in check and remain consistent. He allows a good number of goals through his five-hole and needs to play better in position when making the saves. He could still improve his glove hand and often he seems to have trouble on high shots. His stickhandling ability is rather average and some of his moves can lead to risky plays. He also tends to play too deep in the net, thus being more vulnerable to shots than dekes. He is still working on his consistency, rebound control and on keeping his net (instead of over-committing) He doesn’t always read the play properly.
Awards and achievements
- Jacques Plante Memorial Trophy (QMJHL’s lowest GAA) – 2006, 2007
- Raymond Lagacé Trophy (QMJHL’s defensive rookie of the year) – 2006
- RDS Cup (QMJHL’s rookie of the year) – 2006
- QMJHL First All-Star Team – 2006, 2007
- QMJHL All-Rookie Team – 2006
- AHL Calder Cup – 2007-2008 Chicago Wolves
- October 2008 AHL Goalie of the Month
- NHL 1st Star of the Week (Nov 21st – Nov 28th, 2010)
- 2011 Georgia’s Own Credit Union Three Stars of the Year Award
|2005–06||Cape Breton Screaming Eagles||QMJHL||47||0||0||2||2578||108||3||3||2.51||27||18||0||1407||0.929||9||0||0||2|
|2006–07||Cape Breton Screaming Eagles||QMJHL||56||0||5||0||2335||98||2||1||2.52||28||22||0||966||0.908||16||0||2||0|